Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Stealth and the Spectacle

While most people have embraced the social media and all it has to offer, my friend Loren is sketched out by the whole thing. She maintains a low world wide web profile, but I've come to realize that that doesn't mean she isn't out there stealthily keeping tabs on others. Case in point, I received this email a couple days ago:

I love your blog but to comment, I think I need a blog or profile and you know me, I'm not up for social networking stuff. So I'll send you an email instead.

I was thinking about how crazy it is that you are living in California. When we were in college, I would never have pictured you there. Maybe in Berkeley or San Fran but never Brentwood. Isn't it funny how things work out. My favorite part of you living there is your star sightings. Maybe you should blog about that for all of the people in your life that love People and US magazine. Who is your most recent sighting? Does that get so boring for you now that you live there? Do you hate that we love it so much? :)

Loren, I know you are out there...

I never imagined me living in LA, let alone California either. Love makes us do crazy things, though! Moving across the country was the boldest, bravest decision I've ever made and also the most rewarding.

For my People and US Magazine loving friends...

I recently had two celebrity spottings within a couple days of each other. The first was pretty cool and the second was just plain bizzarro.

The first:

Ben Affleck walked past me carrying his daughter, Violet. As he passed he smiled and said hi.

Note: I told this to my mom and her response was, "That's nice. Did he say our baby was cute?" No mom, unlike us, Ben Affleck is not fixated on Kensey. He just said "hi".

The second:

When you live in LA and you see a celebrity you ignore them. Ira and I sat next to Steven Spielberg at breakfast and wouldn't even turn our heads to the right. It was hard work.

I've experienced one exception to this rule and it was Steven Seagal at my local Whole Foods.

I was in the produce section when Steven Seagal walked into the store. I know virtually nothing about Steven Seagal, but he's a presence in person. He's incredibly tall and wide, sported a deep, dark spray tan, and his hair was shiny and slicked. He stood out like an amber giant amongst the vegetable loving, tree-hugging Whole Foods clientele.

To add to the spectacle, Steven Seagal's arm was in a cast and he was with the smallest, little (hot) Asian woman I've ever seen. She was pushing the cart and Steven Seagal was using his good arm to point to the items she should pick up. I couldn't tell if the woman worked for Steven Seagal of if she was his girlfriend, but either way, I felt sorry for her. He was very bossy.

What made the Steven Seagal sighting bizarre was that everyone in the store was highly aware of him. It was the biggest reaction I'd seen for any celebrity and it was Steven Seagal! Every time I passed a group of people, I'd hear his name,

A sweet, cross-eyed little man turned to me in the vitamin aisle and said, "Did you see, Steven Seagal is here."

"I did."

"I really liked that movie he was in but I can't remember the name of it. I think I'm going to ask him."

I wonder how that conversation went!

I hope I've satisfied your craving for celebrity dish, Loren!

No comments:

Post a Comment